Awash in the sea of Twitter

The last part of the Kick Start Your Blog has been all about building readership of your blog. Again there is lots to take in throughout the challenge post and I will be going back over it more than once while I work through some of the suggested ways of inviting readers to your blog.

Joining Twitter was one of the suggestions and so I have jumped on in. I had never explored Twitter before but was very aware of it’s existence.

Signing up was easy and I stuck with the name of my blog for my username.

Twitter Image

@MrsSOnline

Now comes the hard part. It is all new and a bit overwhelming so I am working my way through The Edublogger’s Guide to all thing Twitter. I have downloaded TweetDeck and will be finding my way about it over the next few weeks.

Another site I will be exploring was linked to from The Edublogger’s guide is called Blog Tips and there are a series of posts for me to work through.

Can you recommend any other good Twitter or TweetDeck for beginner sites?

13 thoughts on “Awash in the sea of Twitter

• Mrs S February 13, 2011 / 5:00 pm

Thanks, Denise. I have been able to find out a lot more about Twitter from all the links given to me.

1. Sheri Edwards February 10, 2011 / 4:43 pm

Tracey, I haven’t crocheted in years, but I did teach my grandkids, and I love “stamping” cards, and I have followed you on Twitter.

On my blogpost, the first item I wrote about is Twitter with two links, one to a guide and one to management. Check them out here:

What Else:Location, Location, Location

I look forward to learning with you.

• Mrs S February 10, 2011 / 9:01 pm

Thanks for giving me some more links to check out.

2. Penny February 8, 2011 / 1:48 pm

Hi Mrs S…it’s been great to follow you through this Teachers Challenge.
    Good on you for joining twitter and becoming part of an online educators PLN.
    Thanks for taking part in all of the activities and posting your images on your blog too.

3. Vanessa Jenkins February 6, 2011 / 11:27 pm

Hi Tracey, Thanks for following me on Twitter, but I must apologise, I have no idea what I’m doing there. Like you, I just signed up and I’m still finding my way around, hence I haven’t posted a single tweet yet. When I get a chance I plan on reading through some of the links you posted. Twitter 101 also sounds like a good place to start.
    I’m also really impressed with your blog, you have posted some very useful information. The info on Answergarden caught my eye. I am keen to give it ago. Looking forward to following your future posts and tweets.

• Mrs S February 7, 2011 / 9:45 am

I am getting fond of Answer Garden very quickly and am just waiting to see how it will go with my students.

I am definitely a Learner in Twitter and have only posted a few Tweets but can see that there is a great deal of useful information there. I am very grateful to Malyn for her links.

4. Malyn February 6, 2011 / 3:35 pm

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the Twitter follow and that’s how I got here, in fact. It would seem we have a fair bit in common. Here are a few links which you might be interested in (a bit of self-promotion, too, if you don’t mind)

A really simple and visual guide to Twitter basics
    Twitter 101 and 201 – basic as well as advanced stuff by @msuster
    My #ksyb post on embedded multimedia – contains a video I made about Twitter shown at staff PD
    ThinkInkCreative – my papercrafting blog

I love birds and your avatar is just so cute. I bet you made it!

cheers,
    Malyn

• Mrs S February 6, 2011 / 5:35 pm

Thanks for the links, Malyn. I will be exploring them all as I navigate my way around Twitter as a novice. Yes I did make the bird. I posted about it on the Crafting blog I share with my daughter.

5. Britt Gow February 5, 2011 / 6:15 pm

Hi there Tracey,
    Thanks for participating in the Teacher’s Blogging Challenge and for commenting on my blog. I really appreciate your positive feedback and I look forward to being part of your PLN in future.
    In Edublogs, you can change the settings for commented on the dashboard section of your blog, but I am not sure about other platforms.

• Mrs S February 5, 2011 / 9:14 pm

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I have found the Challenge to be a great way to begin the process of developing a PLN.

• Mrs S February 6, 2011 / 9:28 am

Thanks, Britt. I did a little more searching and found the setting to change the order of replies in the tools section. I will try it with newer comments at the top and see what I think.